Hi researchers, and welcome back to the Bridgeport History Center.
We are open for research appointments on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. What follows below are our COVID-19 policies and what you can expect when you come in to do your research.
Please be aware that right now, the Bridgeport History Center cannot honor walk-in patrons for the safety of your fellow researchers and our staff.
Booking an appointment
Right now, we are open only by appointment. Below are our available research time slots as of June 1, 2021:
Wednesday: 12 PM – 2 PM | 2:15 PM – 4:15 PM | 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM | 6:45 PM – 8 PM
Thursday:12 PM – 2 PM | 2:15 PM – 4:15 PM | 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM | 6:45 PM – 8 PM
Friday: 10 AM – 12 PM | 12:15 PM – 2:15 PM | 2:30 PM – 5 PM
Saturday: 10 AM – 12 PM | 12:15 PM – 2:15 PM | 2:30 PM – 5 PM
We currently are splitting our rooms between our genealogy database computers and researchers in need of other materials. One researcher is allowed in each room during a given time slot.
To book your slot:
- Please fill out this form with your preferred time slot(s) and contact information OR give us a call at (203) 576-7400 ext.7
- We will get back to you ASAP during business hours to confirm your time slot, and to determine what research materials you need.
- Please know what it is you are looking for and be ready to let us know. Are you only using our genealogy databases? Do you need microfilm? Something else? Please let us know. We will be pulling all of your items in advance and are trying to limit how much our staff is moving in between floors during the day, in order to keep both you and them safe.
- The day before your appointment, we will call you again to confirm that you will be in and ensure we have all the material you are looking to use. We will also tell you which door to enter through (see below.)
Once you’re here
While the Bridgeport Public Library no longer requires patrons to wear masks, we ask that you consider keeping yours on while in the archives, as we are a smaller space with less air flow compared to other parts of the building.
When you arrive for your appointment:
- One of two doors will be open for you: the researcher entrance or the genealogy entrance. They look like this:
Materials researcher entrance (across from our display cases)
Genealogy database entrance
2. We will close the door once you are in, in order to minimize airflow from other parts of the building.
3. A patron registration form will be provided. We ask that you fill it out.
4. We will provide socially distant support as you need.
5. 15 minutes prior to the end of your appointment, we will give you a reminder.
6. You will be expected to leave promptly at the end of your appointment, as we need to clean your research area and prepare for the next researcher within 15 minutes.
7. Please be kind with our staff, especially if we ask you to repeat things. Masks can muffle words, and plexiglass barriers add another layer of complexity.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com
Thank you very much for your cooperation.
Bridgeport History Center staff