Bridgeport Public Library 925 Broad Street Bridgeport, CT 06604
The Bridgeport Public Library subscribes to the Library Bill of Rights, adopted and amended by the American Library Association which states “Libraries which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use.” Granting use of Library facilities does not imply endorsement by the Library of the group, the meeting, or the ideas presented at the meeting.
The City of Bridgeport, Bridgeport Public Library, the Board of Library Directors, the City Librarian, employees, and volunteers assume no responsibility for loss, theft, or damage of any property of any group or individual using any of the Library meeting rooms or kitchen facilities, and in addition, assume no responsibility for the personal injury (including death) of any individual using the meeting rooms or kitchens.
The meeting rooms may be inspected prior to the date of the meeting. Individuals/groups are encouraged to check a room to make sure that it conforms to desired use. Arrangements and reservations for rooms must be made with staff at the Branch where the room is located.
MEETING ROOM USE POLICIES
- Meeting and community rooms in the public library may be used by community groups and organizations whose aims are educational, cultural, intellectual, social, or for civic betterment of the Bridgeport Community. Library meeting rooms are not available for the benefit of private individuals or to profit-making organizations. Meeting and conference rooms are currently available at Burroughs & Saden Library, North Branch Library, Black Rock Branch Library and Newfield Branch Library.
- Library events and/or Library sponsored activities take precedence over outside requests for use of the rooms.
- Requests for use of a meeting room shall be made by completing an application at the Library location to be used. Applications must be signed by an individual at least eighteen (18) years of age. Rooms are NOT available for use on a regular continuing basis by any organization unless by consent of the City Librarian. The Group using a meeting room must assign one person responsible for the proper use of the room in accordance with these guidelines. Rooms are available on a first come, first served basis and may be reserved up to three (3) months in advance.
- Admission fees, donations or charges of any kind for public programming are not permitted. Organizational dues may be collected on library premises as allowed by law.
- Educational or training conferences, workshops, planning sessions, etc. may be scheduled. Registration fees for materials or tuition should be collected in advance by the sponsoring organization. These sessions do not have to be made available to the general public.
- Organizations are responsible for supervising their own activities, including clean-up. Users of the meeting rooms are responsible for the condition of the rooms prior to leaving the Library. A meeting room must be left in the original condition in which it was found. The applicant will beheld responsible for loss or damage resulting from room use. Compensation for such loss or damage must be made promptly upon billing.
- The organization booking the room must adhere to fire codes regarding the number of persons allowed in the room. All federal, state, and local ordinances, as well as rules of the Police and Fire Departments relating to public assemblies must be strictly obeyed.
- Applying organizations are held responsible for the preservation of order by those in Attendance. Police or fire protection, when deemed necessary by the City Librarian, must be provided and paid for by the applying organization.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the library.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the library or on library property.
- The Library will provide only a basic set up of the room. All additional equipment not specified must be provided by the user and removed promptly following the meeting.
- Users of the meeting and community rooms must provide their own supplies, materials, refreshments, equipment, etc.
- All publicity concerning the meeting or event is the responsibility of the organization. It is not the responsibility of the Library.
- Library staff may be responsible for displaying publicity regarding meetings at their discretion. Organizations may request that one notice or poster be displayed on the Library bulletin board. No flyers or posters may be posted on the Library doors, stairwells, pillars or other places within the Library, on the outside of the building, nor on library property without prior permission.
- Decorations, scenery, or signs are prohibited unless prior approval has been received from the Library. Items are not to be taped to walls, doors, etc. The use of flammable materials is prohibited.
- Publicity should not give the impression that the Library is a sponsor of the meeting. Groups must provide a telephone number for the public to contact for information. The Library telephone number may not be used.
- Groups must vacate the Library ten (10) minutes prior to the Library’s regular closing time unless arrangements have been made in advance.
- The Library reserves the right to cancel any meeting because of adverse weather conditions or for any other emergency.
- The City Librarian has full authority to grant, refuse or revoke permission to use the meeting and community rooms.
Approved BPL Board of Directors 10/18/95, Revised 11/2004, revised 5/21/08, rev.10/15/2008, rev. 11/2010
Burroughs Saden Branch Meeting Room Policy
Burroughs-Saden Main Branch
925 Broad Street
Bridgeport, CT 06604
203-576-7400 extension 425
Reserving Meeting Rooms @ Burroughs-Saden Branch
To reserve a meeting room at Burroughs-Saden Main Branch Library, please call the library at 203-576-7400 ext. 425. A complete list of rules and regulations regarding use of the meeting rooms may be obtained at the information desk
The Main Library has a large meeting space on the first floor and a smaller community room on the third floor. Various types of media equipment are available.
Black Rock Branch Meeting Room Policy
Black Rock Branch
2705 Fairfield Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06605
Reserving Meeting Rooms @ Black Rock Branch
To reserve a meeting room at Black Rock Branch Library, please call the library at 337-9676. A complete list of rules and regulations regarding use of the meeting rooms may be obtained at the information desk
Newfield Branch Meeting Room Policy
1230 Stratford Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06607
Reserving Meeting Rooms @ Newfield Branch
To reserve a meeting room at Newfield Branch Library, please call the library at 576-7828. A complete list of rules and regulations regarding use of the meeting rooms may be obtained at the information desk.
North Branch Meeting Room Policy
3455 Madison Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06606
Reserving Meeting Rooms @ North Branch
To reserve a meeting room at North Branch Library, please call the library information desk, 576-8113. A complete list of rules and regulations regarding use of the meeting rooms may be obtained at the information desk.