Library Opening Plan – Safety for Staff and Patrons is the #1 Priority
Libraries across the State of Connecticut and across the nation are developing
plans to reopen their libraries in terms of STAGES, not dates due to the changing
nature of public health and medical realities of the pandemic and in keeping with
guidance and mandates from local, state and federal governance. This plan will be
revised as new information about the coronavirus is known, and as local, state
and federal guidelines change.
Stage 1 – Closed to Public (Current State)
- May 26: Library opens for staff only. PPE needed for all staff on hand.
- Custodians will return first to completely clean and disinfect all library
- Rest of Library staff returns with alternating schedule starting June 1.
- All staff COVID19 tested and temperature monitoring per city guidelines for
- Hours of Operation: Mon. – Thu. 7:30 am – 8:00 pm; Fri. & Sat. 7:30 – 5:00
- Staff will alternate Fridays and Saturdays.
- Basic schedules are: Week 1: Mon.-Thu.: 10:00am – 6:00 pm, Fri. 9:00 am –
5:00 pm; Week 2: Mon.-Thu.: 10:00 am – 8:00 pm, Sat.: 10:00 am – 5:00pm.
- Custodians: Mon. – Thur.: 7:30 am – 3:30pm or 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm; Fri. &
Sat. 9:00 – 5:00 pm.
- Employee training on use of PPE and other safety training as needed to work safely in the workplace.
- Limited staff continue teleworking on modified basis (alternating between
working on site and teleworking).
- Immunocompromised staff identified and will remain home until public
health officials relax “Stay Safe, Stay Home” guidelines.
- Chromebooks purchased for each branch and departments to foster social
- One person in a work area at a time; minimum 6 ft. distance if more than
- Masks and gloves worn at all times.
- Regular schedule of cleaning and disinfecting by maintenance staff
- Library staff responsible to wipe down frequently touched items in their
- Each library location designates space for quarantining returned library
items and for quarantining employees who become ill during the workday
until they leave the workplace. (Area stays shut off for 24 hours, deep
cleaning by custodians wearing full protective PPE).
- Preparation for opening the library to the public: moving furniture, tables,
chairs, computers for social distancing to begin. Plexiglass barriers ordered
for public service desks and wherever needed in work areas.
- Services to the Public: Online services, reference by telephone, limited
interlibrary loan (depends on state library courier and private service and
number of libraries open.)
- Operations: Handling mail, paying invoices, ordering library materials.
- Gathering returned items left in book drops for isolation (72 hrs) before
wiping down and shelving.
- Children’s Department staff clean and put away all difficult to clean items.
- Plan for limited access to library materials books through the library’s new
“Quick Pick-up” service.
- No library fines charged
- Burroughs 2nd fl. Carpet project and Roof Drains Project underway.
Stage 2 – Date TBD
- All but immunocompromised staff work in building.
- Social distancing measures in place.
- Shelving of returned items, limited loans through “Quick Pick-up” service
and interlibrary loans.
- Wifi access installed near lobbies to provide laptop use during soft opening
to the public. Laptops purchased for this purpose,
- Remote library services and limited reference services continue (telephone, online).
Stage 3 – Soft Opening to Public – Lobby Only – Date: TBD
- Soft Opening to Public: Express computer use by appointment using
wireless laptops and computers distanced six feet apart. Forty-five minute
time slots to allow time for disinfecting equipment in between
- Temperature monitoring of public depending on current ordinances. Public
must wear PPE in library.
- Security staff returns.
- Occupancy limits for the public? TBD by city and public health guidelines.
- No children under 12 years old allowed in the library.
- Reference online and by phone continues, limited assistance with staff and patrons continuing to wear masks and gloves.
Stage 4 – Additional Public Services Restored
- Library open to the public with extra precautions and sanitation supplies
readily available for staff and the public.
- Limited schedule of all general library services to allow for enhanced
cleaning, social distancing accommodations such as moving public seating
and computers 6 feet apart and loaning laptops for in-library use and
hotspots for checkout.
Stage 5 – Library open to the public, business as usual, all services restored and
operating as normal.
“Endorsed” by Library Board of Directors 5/20/20